How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suppose i need to check my state laws but an internet company

Customer Question

i suppose i need to check my state laws but an internet company never notifies me about putting a line through my yard as they trespass, two men wreck my yard and leave debree at a later date, they never warn me. i believe i may have a case. they just wanted to credit me 3 months internet service and give no letter of apology that I ask for. What do you think. I asked them 3 x to get it out of my yard they said yes twice and the third time said they have easement rights and it will be buried.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You will want to check what your actual deed to your property says.If there is in fact an easement, they may have a right of access through your property to install the line, but the easement will detail what they are entitled to do and what they are allowed to do.An easement does not permit them to damage or destroy your personal property (the landscaping etc.) and they must return your property to the condition it was before.If you believe the business is operating in an unfair or fraudulent manner, you can report them to your state's Attorney General (they will usually be the initial clearinghouse for complaints that are then referred to the State's regulatory agency for public utilities if the AG does not handle the complaint in house). To find your AG simply do an internet search for "[your state] Attorney General Consumer Complaint" (if you cannot find your online portal, please let me know what state you are in and I will send you a link).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i already knew most of this and i contacted the bbb they contacted them and they responded.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Is there something specific you were looking for in addition? (The scope of the forum is "general legal information", I want to ensure you have a positive experience, but I am somewhat limited by what you post and being able to provide you with the general statements of law).The AG's office is not the same as the BBB, the BBB has no enforcement authority, they simply act as an intermediary (they are fast, free, and can be effective, but they do not have regulatory or criminal enforcement authority like the Attorney General does, but likewise, the AG is not going to prosecute your easement rights for you, you must do that in civil court).Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i think you gauge customers especially poor people looking to just get a few questions answered and I won't use your service again!