Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Will my experience as an insurance agent help me land a job

Customer Question
as an insurance defense attorney...
Will my experience as an insurance agent help me land a job as an insurance defense attorney after I graduate law school? Or will I have a better chances of becoming an insurance defense attorney by doing an internship at a law firm? I'm currently an insurance
agent, and I really don't want to keep my job if it isn't going to get me toward my career goals.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/17/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Unfortunately there is no "hard and fast" mechanism to secure a job after graduating from law school. However, your past experience as an industry employee is going to help you in the insurance defense side (as well as the plaintiff's side if you wish to explore that side of the bar).However, for pursuing your legal career, you should start looking into internships or clerkships with law firms or judges. Your next employer is going to be looking for legal experience and many employers make a point of hiring from their summer internship programs.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney