How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is my husband has been hospitalized since

Customer Question

Hello my question is my husband has been hospitalized since April 28th on April 30 when we came to see him the Drs were trying to figure out what's going on.. Well come to find out he was overdosed on pain medication so he was rushed to the Icu unit to reverse the overdose.. He was in Icu for a month and a half on breathing tubes and sedated .. What I don't know is if that overdose caused more damage to his insides because he was than diagnosed with pancreatitis bleeding from pancreas and all that caused a fistula connected ting pancreas to lower part of colon.. He also had blockage in the stomach.. Now he is still here but they are giving me 2choices take him home on hospice or put him in a facility.. Please let me know what I should do .. My email is***@******.*** my number is(###) ###-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. That is absolutely terrible and I am sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. Have you per chance had a different doctor review him or his charts to see what took place? Did they overdose him on the medication or did he do this to himself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They overdosed him on medication
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I would strongly urge you to obtain copies of his medical charts, which under HIPAA he would be entitled to receive. Then bring copies of those charts either to a trusted doctor for review or a medical malpractice attorney (who generally has medical doctors on standby) to review the decisions made on behalf of your spouse. If it meets malpractice standards, which this sounds as if it may, retain them as counsel AND also get advice from your own doctor as to the best step. Perhaps there is a third path, one to recovery rather than just for comfort, and having an outsider review the records may help see it. Sincerely, ***** ***** PS. I just recently had a very similar situation where due to a very strange turn of events my own pancreas did exactly the same thing...and if I would have listened to the doctors I do not know if I would be here today--that is why I suggest reviewing this with someone outside their facility to see if other options may exist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I don't know how long it takes but I requested the records about a month ago
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome, truly. No, it does not (and should not) take this long. I suggest contacting them again and demanding the printouts--as typically most records are now in e-file format. And if they do not provide this, threaten to file a complaint against them under HIPAA for unlawfully and improperly refusing to provide the patient with records that the patient is entitled to obtain. Or get an attorney to 'politely' threaten them to do the a month is simply unreasonable at this point.Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome and please take care. I hope that your spouse is able to recover. Sincerely, ***** *****