How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102368
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a divorce a lil over a year ago. can i still fight for

Customer Question

I got a divorce a lil over a year ago. can i still fight for half of what belongs to me. i have proof that my mental state at the time was not good and that my ex always in contorll of the money got everything house 401k r savings just everything after 20 yrs i got absolutely nothing
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about your situation. Traditionally, Texas courts are very reluctant to REOPEN divorce cases. Once it is finalized, the divorce generally CANNOT be set aside after 30 days pas the decree being signed are up.
The only way that someone in your situation can possibly be successful in reopening the case is:
1) if the divorce decree was per an agreement between you and him, and
2) you can show by CLEAR AND CONVINCING EVIDENCE that you did NOT understand what you were signing at the time to due to your mental state, and only recently have found mental capacity and realized what you had done.
This is extremely hard to prove. So chances of this are slim.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.