Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in Michigan. A Dallas district court issued a

Customer Question
Hi: I live in Michigan. A...
Hi:
I live in Michigan. A Dallas district court issued a $3000 default judgment against me.
I have NO physical possessions (except a car), no money, and my only income is SSDI. One lawyer told me that makes me insolvent.
The car is a 1982 Mercedes-Benz 380sl. NADA values the car around $27,000.
Can my car be taken to satisfy the judgment? If so, what options do I have to avoid this repo. BTW, my car is paid in full.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/16/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am afraid that the vehicle is in danger of being pursued. The reason is because it is still an asset that you own, and while you may have nothing else and the SSDI is generally not able to be pursued, your vehicle can be. Because of that the only two options you have are to either figure out a way to pay off the judgment so that your property is not at risk, or transfer ownership of the vehicle to someone else...although the latter may be challenged if they find out that you received no benefit for the transfer as it would be seen as purely attempting to hide assets. Sincerely, ***** *****
Is it legal to sale the car to an unknown buyer?
Or, if I begin bankruptcy proceedings, will that halt any action?
Hi, It is legal to sell it to whomever you wish. But as far as bankruptcy is concerned, know that the value of the car is too high so you generally cannot 'save' it with the filing. It can delay the proceedings, sometimes beyond 30 days as you'd need to contact all creditors of the filing, but depending on the state the most you can protect with bankruptcy is between $3000 to $5000 of value for the vehicle. Sincerely,Dimitry, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney