Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Live in mn. been joint owner of our house and have payed a

Customer Question

live in mn. been joint owner of our house and have payed a majority of th3e house payment for the past9 years. should'nt i receive some compensation for this upon my death? i believe my children should receive some inheritance from this. what does the law say?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am afraid that the law likely does not see this the same way. What the law ultimately cares about is not who made the payments or how much, but in whose name the property is listed. If you are listed as 50% owner but made 99% of the payments, you are still entitled to 50%, as are your heirs and beneficiaries. The amount made is not important under law, it is who is listed under title and under what percentage of ownership. I am sorry! Sincerely, ***** *****