How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7310
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife got into an accident and was deemed at fault. She was underinsured and was s

Customer Question

Hi, my wife got into an accident and was deemed at fault. She was underinsured and was sued for about $7k.. She has not paid and told them we couldn't make the payments they requested, nor the lump sum.. There was no more conversation back and forth after that with them(them being the insurance carrier).. My wife got pulled over the other day to be told she had a suspended license due to not paying a settlement.
She is a delivery driver for a news agency as primary occupation for her. We are frantically trying to find a way to find some time until we can come up with funds to repay this amount. The officer told her if he saw her driving her car again, he would pull her over and impound her car and throw her in jail.. Tough situation... we need the extra income to pay our rent. However, we can't get a license to keep her job unless she pays this debt.... sucks..
What are my options? oh, and she declared bankruptcy 5 years ago already.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am hoping the answer is not the typical "Must pay it or declare bankruptcy"... I know very little about sr-22 but my wife thinks this will get her license back for now... :/
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
It might. Most of the information on this subject deals with suspensions for DUI. If she now has insurance (SR-22 Form) she should be eligible for a restricted hardship driver license. Here is the application form.