How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have licensed an image of a celebrity from the copyright holder and want to exploit comm

Customer Question

I have licensed an image of a celebrity from the copyright holder and want to exploit commercially across Europe. it was taken in the 1960s, does the date of the photograph predate US right of publicity?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
Under the 1909 Act copyright duration was measured from the date of publication and not the date of creation. The US copyright term for works published between January 1, 1924, and December 31, 1977, is 95 years from the date of publication. This is the general rule with some exceptions as a copyright could have entered the public domain if not renewed. The rules for making that analysis is highly complex but if you provide me positive feedback on this answer, I will point you to a website that can help you with that at no additional charge.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer.