Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

While receiving Minimum Social Securely benefits years, at

Customer Question

While receiving Minimum Social Securely benefits for 22 years, at the age of 88, can anyone or the U S Government take money I'm living on, out of my receiving Minimum Social Security monthly Benefits? (***@******.*** )
U S Government
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Frank,

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Social Security Retirement and Disability benefits (SSDI) cannot be taken to pay most debts. The benefits CAN be taken to pay back child support, alimony, back taxes owed to the state or federal government, unpaid federal student loans, or other debts owed to the federal government. Benefits received via direct deposit within the past 2 months are also protected. The same is true of VA benefits. That means, if you spend your entire benefit on living expenses every month, they won't be able to take any of it.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) cannot be garnished for any purpose by anyone.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.