Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Four years ago i lost a son to cancer, we did not have life

Customer Question
insurance and made a down...
Four years ago i lost a son to cancer, we did not have life insurance and made a down payment to funeral home and a few more after that. I then lost my job and tried to call and write them a letter to state i could not make payment until i found job. Late fall i was contacted by their attornies. We made a payment agreement with them which i have followed. In May they sent a letter stating we were to show up in court last week or we could have a warrant issued for our arrest. I kept on making payments to them and called, wrote letters and faxed the letters to them asking what this court date was for. I was totally confused. After making and leaving several messages for weeks i finally got through the afternoon before court date and lawyer and assistant whom i was corresponding with informed me i better show up or else and he would not answer my questions. I showed up at court 7/8 due to fright and was told i needed to fill out a asset disclosure for me and my husband. I need to send back by 7/17. The attorney mailed it to me which took 2 days. I know attorney is NOT on my side i dont know what to do. SHould i just fill them out and send back. What does this mean? I have tried to call a couple attorneys in my town and no one has returned call.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/14/2015
Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally, once a court judgment is obtained against a person, then the judgment creditor has the right to compel the judgment debtor to provide a list of all assets, for the purposes of the judgment creditor to garnish or seize such assets in order to satisfy a full amount of the judgment.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
I wish an attorney here in my town would have answered my calls!! Your response is something what i was thinking though, so thank you for confirming...I guess i do not understand why they agreed to a payment plan before then.
So to confirm your best advice is to fill out the form and send back at this point.
Dear Sheryl,
I am not permitted to provide JustAnswer.com customer with any type of legal advice or legal services, as such can only be obtained from your local attorney upon full review of the potential client's case.
Generally, if the judgment creditor fails to complete an asset list / questionnaire, then attorneys for judgment creditor can move for sanctions with the court, which can in some extreme cases, include jail time.
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.
Do you have any related follow up questions?
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law