Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I just rented a home in Albuquerque, NM. The home still has

Customer Question
some of the owners belongings...
I just rented a home in Albuquerque, NM. The home still has some of the owners belongings there which initially I agreed to keep. I signed the lease 25 June 2015 and the addendum 1 July 2015. It's now the 14th of July and I want the owner to remove all her belongings including the jacuzzi she agreed to pick up. Even though I signed the addendum less then 30 days ago can I change my mind in keeping her stuff at the house. I'm currently paying rent for a house that I can't fully utilize.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/14/2015
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Just to be clear, all that has been left there were the items which you initially agreed to keep? Was there any time limit on how long she would store/keep them?
There was not a time frame to which I would keep her things. The addendum was done because she couldn't physically move the furniture prior to me moving in. Initially it wasn't an issue until I realized that I would have to store my own furninture to accommodate hers.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to say but if this was disclosed and agreed to ahead of time, then she could keep her stuff and you could not just change your mind and ask her to remove it. In a situation like this, one of two things should have happened. The first, was a walk through of the rental to see what would stay, so you could assess if your things would fit and if they would not, then require she remove her items within X period of time and reduce the rent until then. The second thing would be to allow it to be stored BUT offset the rent by the storage fee which you would need to incur since your items would not fit. To come back now after the fact, when everything was disclosed and agreed to, would not be a legal basis or reason to just demand she move the stuff out. You can 100% address this with her and ask her to accommodate your needs and see if she will be reasonable.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Can I put her things in the garage to store until she can remove it? What about the jacuzzi? I never agreed to keep that.
If you never agreed to the Jacuzzi, then it can be removed and when you took possession and saw it, should have asked her to remove it, if it is interfering with your use and enjoyment of the property. It is odd that is was left and not in the rental agreement, since it would likely be something which you would need to take care of. Now, as far as placing her items in the garage, unless the lease specifically states they must be left in place, you should be able to store them as long as no damage would result, from being placed in the garage.
What's a reasonable storage fee?
If you can get an idea of the size of everything, you can look up what a storage facility would charge and go off that.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
LegalKnowledge, Attorney