Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Not sure what category of the law this falls under.

Customer Question

Hello- not sure what category of the law this falls under. Brief Summary: Our kids are members of 4H in Wisconsin. they raise rabbits to show at the fair. last year 4H implemented a new computer system to register kids for the fair. the deadline to register was June 1st at 5 pm. I registered both my kids on June 1st before the deadline. I requested email confirmation. I only received confirmation for my son not my daughter. I have gone through all the channels which includes contacting town, county and state 4H. I was told that the fair board declined a requesl for her show her rabbits at the fair because we missed the registration deadline. I was then told to write a letter to appeal it. I was notified again that my appeal was declined and that my 12 year old can NOT show at the fair but my 16 year old can. They claim that they did not receive the registration for daughter. Is there anything we can do? Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to tell you that legally there is nothing you can do at this point if they refuse to accept the proof that you registered.
All you can really do without spending a large sum of money on legal fees, is to send them another letter to the director with a copy of both emails showing the date and time they were sent and plead your case to the director as to this being the fault of their system and not your fault.
Other than that, I am afraid that if you sue in court to seek a court order, by the time it would be entered you may miss the event. Also, there are no real damages from not participating this year, so it will be hard for the court to craft an award to remedy this matter and the amount they award may not be much as your costs to pursue it I am afraid.