Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My daughter was at an outbound camp exchange students

Customer Question

my daughter was at an outbound camp for foreign exchange students through Rotary Club. There was a research paper due 5 questions. Alisha, and my daughter were the only biracial girls out of 60 students. The leaders of the camp harassed and question my daughter and the other girl about the research assignment. What was said? - It looks like you copied it? How is it so much alike?" What is strange the other approximately 58 white foreign exchange students were not harassed in which 1/2 to 3/4 did very little of this research assignment! Maria the other biracial girl told them that my daughter copied hers. She said she was scared to tell the truth. My daughter Alisha said that they worked together they collaborated. She has the text and email exchanges going back and forth. They are telling her she will not be able to go because she is lying. They can not trust her to send her abroad. My daughter is 16 attends an Early College High School/STEM school has 22 college hours with a 4.0 no discipline referrals. At the high school, she has 1 B and all As with no discipline referrals. She has never been in trouble with the law not even a traffic ticket. It happens to be these two biracial girls they harass and question. She worked so hard. I do not know what else to do! He also cashed checks approximately $1700 worth made out to her for the foreign exchange. The checks were just made out to her in her name! Please help
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They cannot cash checks made out only in her name, that is fraud and identity theft and forgery if he signed her name and that can be reported to the police.
As far as the discrimination, if there is more than just the fact your child is biracial to show that the sole reason for them doing this to her was her race, you would have a legal case that could succeed in court. In these cases, the victim of the alleged discrimination must be able to prove that there were no other reasons for harassing them other than their race and that they are using the collaboration with each other, which is proven by the text messages, as a mere pretext for discrimination.
I am afraid that if you contacted the camp director and they will not take actions to correct the situation, your sole remaining recourse though would be to file suit against the camp for discrimination and seek money damages for the harm they caused by their conduct.