How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55453
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I contracted replacements with Glover Builders Inc.

Customer Question

I contracted for window replacements with Glover Builders Inc. in Winter Haven Florida. This was in April 2015. At this time, the windows are partially installed, but the work is shoddy and they did damage to the inside of my house when attempting to install some of the windows. They have taken $4357 of my money, have not been back in over a month and do not return my calls. I am even unable to leave messages now because the mail box is full. I was dealing with a Todd Simon who was supposedly the manager of this firm. What are my options? I am 80 yrs old and a widow on social security. I am still working full time right now, but am going to part time on August 2.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
You want to raise the stakes on them to get your recourse. They are in breach of contract and you do have recourse. First, get an estimate from another window company of the cost to properly finish the job and repair any damage caused. Then, send the defaulting company a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and their default, and demand they pay you what it will cost you to have another company finish the job satisfactorily and repair the damages since you no longer have confidence in them. Inform them that if they do not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as gross negligence, fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, they will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the judgments that will basically prevent them from doing business in the future.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Legal Questions