Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am preparing my owen Response. My X filed an appeal to the

Customer Question
14th Court of Appeal. He...
I am preparing my owen Response. My X filed an appeal to the 14th Court of Appeal. He agreed and accepted the settlement to take our home and l agreed to keep my retirement pay and my 401K was settled in court that it was used up and there was no more
money left from the 401K. I paid my lawyer for our divorce to be finalize and to prepare the Deed of Trust to Secure Assumption for me. But my X refused to pay his lawyer so she was dismissed by the Judge. He represented himself at the end. My lawyer had to
prepare the final divorce and Deed of Trust. Now my X has managed to get a appeal to the 14th Court of Appeal in Houston,Texas. Asking for the money from the 401K and my retirement. My X thought l was still using my lawyer they sent the appeal to my lawyer
she did not do 14th court of appeals she said and waited to long and called me. l had to do something immediately she said or I my or my not be able to keep my retirement she felt the appeal my X may or may not pass. But it states that he had accept the house
and l have 100 percent of my retirement and that the 401K and any pension is mined and its stated that in our Divorce. And l manage to get help at the last minute and the person prepared the Extension for me that day and l walked it in to the*****of
appeal. And they accepted it. Now l need help on how to prepare a Responses. Where to go and look it up. Get samples of one, So if you can point me in the right direction l would be thankful.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/12/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state are you in?
Also, you have the copy of the court orders and the signed settlement where he accepted the house and released the pension?
I am in Houston, Texas and yes I have a final copy of the divorce and its also register in court register, also I have the deed of Trust to Secure Assumption because my X refused to get the house refinance. It states in the divorce as said - Property to Wife - IT IS ORDERED AND DECREED that the wife, MAYAA DOE , is awarded the following as her sole and separate property, and the husband is divested of all right, title, interest, and claim in and to that property: In Column W-10 . All sums, whether matured or unmatured, accrued or unaccrued, vested or otherwise. Together with all increases thereof, the proceeds therefrom, and any other rights relating to any profit-sharing plan, retirement plan, Keogh plan, pension plan, employee stock option plan, (401(k) plan, employee savings plan, accrued unpaid bonuses, disability plan, or other benefits existing by reason of the wife's past, present, or future employment with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
what is the response to my question I don't see understand I ask for where to go to find samples or examples of a Responses
Thank you for your reply.
Here is a sample of what an appeal reply brief looks like: http://www.keelingdownes.com/Brief-Kintron.pdf
Here is another: http://www.jonesdayappellate.com/files/CaseStudy/b95f3899-a3af-43cf-980e-c3d9294d30de/Presentation/CaseStudyFile/5c689869-33d5-4fe3-993e-c59b2b56e1f7/avcointerstateNAATSW.pdf
The formats are pretty much identical through all of the appeals courts, even though your brief may not be that long, the sections are the same and the way you make your arguments is the same. You list the issue, the rule, then provide analysis of the rule with your facts and then conclusion what you believe the court should do and why.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney