Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What is the procedure of personal items or vehicles

Customer Question
What is the procedure for...
What is the procedure for disposing of personal items or vehicles abandoned on your property? San Luis Obispo County, CA
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/11/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
For vehicles, this is a little bit easier. Contact a tow company and have them towed. If they were parked without permission a towing company can come and remove the vehicles for you (notify the tow company of the circumstances and they will take the appropriate steps for notification/storage/etc. - work with a tow company that specializes in parking enforcement).For other property, this is a little more difficult. If they had simply dumped property on your land, you could have thrown it away. However, as you have made contact with them and are making an effort to return their property you are now entering into the "abandoned property" laws, and this makes it much more difficult. The easiest thing to do may be to simply inventory the property and place it in storage - this gets it off of your property and you can bill the person for the cost of storage. If you are in contact with them, give them a very short notice (3-5 days) that you are going to be placing the items in storage and they will be responsible for the bill, and give them an opportunity to pick it up before then.In all of the above circumstances, I would advise making an inventory of the property/belongings to protect yourself.
Tina, Lawyer