Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What does California 11440.30() say in reference to Regional Center hearings. What ar

Customer Question
What does California cod 11440.30(b)...
What does California cod 11440.30(b) say in reference to Regional Center hearings. What are valid reasons to have telephonic testimony? The Regional Center states they can't see the witness so won't know if witness
honest. Witnesses have private practices and it will prevent them from seeing clients who are counting on their services. I need advice from an attorney who handles Regional Center matters and is familiar with the Lanterman Act
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/10/2015
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
The Lanterman Developmental Disabilities Act does not apply here, I am afraid. The Lanterman Act declares that persons with developmental disabilities have the same legal rights and responsibilities guaranteed all other persons by federal and state constitutions and laws, and charges the regional center with advocacy for, and protection of, these rights.
However, the Act does not necessarily allow one who is disabled to mandate that the Court allow them to appear in a telephonic hearing.
The court can decide to allow a party of witness to appear via telephone by its discretion. Good reasons are generally seen as:
-crippling disability that disallows leaving the home;
-financial inability to pay for transport to the courthouse;
-an illness; or
-a family emergency that disallows being at the court.
Per CAL. GOV. CODE § 11440.30, the hearing officer0" may conduct telephone, television, or other electronic means." May - not must. And this is IF they agree to do so, and IF no other party objects.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law