Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I bought a puppy from Tennessee (I live in Michigan) and the

Customer Question
puppy was sick from when...
I bought a puppy from Tennessee (I live in Michigan) and the puppy was sick from when I got her (but I thought it was just that she needed time to adjust). Turns out that she has liver disease (likely liver shunts). The breeder says she was fine when she was there; but says I must keep the puppy for now because she has kennel cough going thru her dogs and thinks the puppy will die if she takes her back. I have already spent almost $2000 to care for this dog in just a month! She says that she will not pay for any of the vet bills. Do I have any rights? She will also not give me a refund once I return the puppy! She wants to give me another dog. I don't want another puppy from her! I've been on an emotional rollercoaster! Please assist.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/9/2015
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
I am sorry to hear about your puppy.
TN does not have any "puppy lemon" laws. And so it is going to come down to the terms of your contract. And what it says in regard to a refund or a different puppy. Also, because there is no "lemon law" on puppies in TN, then the amount of the medical expenses may not be reimbursed unless the contract states the same.
You can file a lawsuit against her for the cost of the medical bills, and that could be filed in your county and state in small claims court, if you want to pursue it.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you
Even thought she's in Tennessee & I'm in Michigan, I can file in small claims court in Michigan?
HelloYes, I suggest you can because the transaction was interstate. And so she does business in your state.
Or you can file in TN and tell the clerk you need to have all hearings via telephone because you are in Michigan. You also can contact the TN Attorney General and file a consumer complaint, if you feel her assessment of what she is selling is fraudulent
But if you sue in Michigan, you will need to be able to show that she has done business with other Michigan residents And you can do that by filing the suit and then subpoena her business records. That will help you if she challenges the state jurisdiction.
Sam, Attorney at Law