Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband and I have been living in a 5thwheel camper since

Customer Question
2009. We have tried to...
My husband and I have been living in a 5thwheel camper since 2009. We have tried to get the owner which was my husbands boss that closed the company back in 2011 and he told us he would not kick us out. We want to move to Tenn. by this fall and want to know how we can take camper. It has not had new tag since 2012.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/9/2015
Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
The only way you can legally take it is either with the title or the written permission of the owner. If you secure the permission of the owner, you will want to make sure that your use of the camper is covered under his insurance policy. The owner could deed the camper to you by signing the title over to you. You will need the title in order to get a tag for the camper. Moreover, if you are given express permission by the owner to use and move the camper, you may also offer to purchase the new tag or provide the money to the owner to purchase the new tag. That being the case, those are the only two legal methods of taking the camper. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!
When we moved here we had a hand shake agreement that if we stay in it we could have it. We can't get the owner to contact us. Some friends of ours just took their camper and left and he said ok. We are afraid that if we got stopped we could be charged with stealing the camper.
Legally speaking, if you get stopped and don't have either a letter allowing you to use it, or the title in your name, you will likely be arrested for theft. As such, I cannot advise you to just pick up and leave with it - unless you have express, written permission and/or the title in your name. Moreover, with the tag being expired, you will be a target for law enforcement when you are on the move.
Thank you for your help
My pleasure. Please rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work. I appreciate it and wish you all the best!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney