How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement that is expires I is over 10 years old ok

Customer Question

I have a judgement that is expires I is over 10 years old ok I have know this is expired in 10 years this judgment it was for they want to get my wages from my job and I have a letter that talks about the judgement and they sent a letter to the sheriff
I know is old I did not show up to court so is defaut judgement and the court said they did not have the paper is not sing by the court so my question is how will I handled the sheriff my self what should tell the sherrif is old and is not sing by the clerk that judgement in ny so I know this collection agency did the judgment twice in the same day and
I believe they enter another judgment in the other county is tha t legal they enter 3 judments . in I had a credit card wich was buil up with more than 700 dollars on interest
and them went to 13 11 dollars the original amount but they built it up to be 2,600 hundred dollars
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
While you can handle this on your own if you wish, it is not in your best interests to do so based on what you typed above and we have to let you know that.
Have you checked with the clerk of court where the judgment was entered to see if they actually filed to renew the judgment? If they filed to renew the judgment it could still be valid and you need to check that by going to the clerk of court's office and looking at the court file before you know what to do in response to the garnishment.
You need to go to the clerk's office in each county where you believed they obtained a judgment and check each court record before you know how to respond.
If the did not renew any of the judgments, then you file an "Objection to Garnishment" in the court where they obtained the garnishment order to the sheriff and you have to attach a stamped copy of the judgment from the clerk's office to show no renewal of judgment was ever filed and ask the court to dismiss the garnishment as the judgment is no longer a valid judgment and has expired and ask the court to dismiss the garnishment on that basis.