Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I need a letter new job explaining my felony conviction

Customer Question
i need a letter for...
i need a letter for a new job explaining my felony conviction in 2004
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/9/2015
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Given that the conviction was more than a decade ago, and presuming that you have had no other convictions---felony or misdemeanor in the interim, then the way to approach the letter explaining what happened it to be honest and not try to sugar coat the conviction.
The biggest potential problem you face is if the crime was one of moral turpitude and reflects on your character as opposed to a stupid mistake that everyone makes at one time or another.
The letter basically need to have two sections. The first will be a short description of the conviction; in which you admit fault and show remorse for the crime.
Secondly, you will want to explain how your life has changed since the conviction, how you are a different person with different values and no longer inclined to violate the law.
The letter should be a page or less, typewritten, and straightforward in a manner that doesn't try to make excuses for the crime you were convicted of'
A sample might go like this:
In June of 2004, I was convicted of possession of cocaine, a felony. Although this incident is a part of my past that I regret, since that time I have stayed away from drugs and have abided by the law.
In the 11 years since my conviction I have worked as a ____________ and have been a hardworking and reliable employee. I am married and helping to raise my 6 year old daughter.
If you have any specific concerns about my past conviction or about my ability to become an effective employee for your company I would be pleased to provide you with whatever additional information you might deem necessary, including letters of reference.
Sincerely,
----------------
Your name
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
LawTalk, Attorney