Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My daughter voluntarily went to an ER to get help with a bad

Customer Question
psychiatric response to some new...
My daughter voluntarily went to an ER to get help with a bad psychiatric response to some new medication for bipolar disorder. After 10 days of trying to get off of this drug, she was still so tormented so needed to get some more help. She is feeling much better and wants to come home now but they are saying she can't. She self admitted herself, can't she self release herself now that she is feeling so much better?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/9/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, unless she is formally committed, she can indeed self-release. If they refuse, she can do two things--first, she can call her own doctor and request that he or she evaluate and then state that she is ready to be released, and she can also state that if they do not release her, they are engaging in 'false imprisonment' as they cannot hold a patient who is still fully in charge of her own faculties against her will.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney