Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My wife and I are in our 90s living in senior housing since

Customer Question

My wife and I are in our 90s living in senior housing since 2002. She has broken both hips and is in an assisted living unit. I have been able to pay our expenses but now the charge is $235 daily plus meds. At that rate our savings will soon be depleted. I have two life insurance policies plus about 50,000 from the sale of our house. Social Security and a pension bring in about $1600 monthly. Will I have to disburse all my money or is there an amount I can retain. I am a combat vet of WW2
Clarence Feltman
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight. It is possible to shelter some of what you have left here.You need a NAELA lawyer to do that.The National Academy of Elder Lawyers specialize in such shelters.Here a medicaid qualifying annuity, a funeral trust or other shelter can make the wife medicaid eligible now while preserving what you have left.Medicaid is a minefield you need a NAELA lawyer to make sure she is eligible while sheltering remaining assets. You can find such a lawyer here.Put in your city. https://www.naela.org/Public/About/Consumers/Find_An_Attorney/Public/About_NAELA/Public_or_Consumer/Find_an_Elder_Lawyer/Find_an_Elder_Lawyer.aspx?hkey=01d28480-72a3-4294-8d32-554931fc26b4 It is very likely you can have her made eligible now and shelter remaining funds for future needs. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Medicaid annuities are an option here.You purchase the annuity under the guidance of a lawyer, the payments back can be short term say a year or less and the payments are exempt as a resource.Ask the lawyer about hat option. http://www.agingcare.com/Articles/using-annuities-to-qualify-for-medicaid-154237.htm This allows you to launder your $50k through an annuity and get the funds back in short timer and they are exempt then from medicaid.