How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33026
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband (we're separated, but not divorced) has just had

Customer Question

My husband (we're separated, but not divorced) has just had a serious accident and is uninsured. After spending 4 days in hospital, and no doubt incurring large medical bills, Im worried that I will be persued for his medical debts. I live out of the country now, but my husband remains in the United States, in Florida.
Can a hospital, or physician pursue ME for my husbands growing medical debt?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
While Florida follows the legal doctrine of necessaries, which would make a spouse liable for medical debts of the other spouse, one of the requirements for application of the doctrine is that you both be living together.
So, you should not be liable.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.