Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

Is it legal to use the name and face of Dylann Roof (the charged

Customer Question

Is it legal to use the name and face of Dylann Roof (the charged but not convicted shooter in the Charleston, SC shooting case) on a billboard to support a non-profit gun control organization's call for universal gun control?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
I am a licensed intellectual property attorney with over a decade of experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Yes, theoretically anyway. I would caution against using images of this guy that were his person property (even if they are taken from his social media, or lifted from other sources that took then images off of his social media). I think it would be legally preferable to use mugshots and images of that nature which are public domain and open source on your billboard for your non-profit. If the images are public record/public domain, you will encounter far fewer legal battles or potential legal battles. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answers positively as well. Best wishes going forward!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thx - what about use of his name - is that protected by privacy laws?
Yes, his name is ***** ***** under privacy laws relative to your message. The reason his name can be released to the press and discussed by the press is due to his offense. I think you would be treading on less certain legal ground by using his name in view of other privacy laws - particularly since he has not yet been convicted of the crime he committed.
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure that you are satisfied as you move forward. Thanks