Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am in the very early stages of an audit by wkmens comp. I

Customer Question
I am in the very...
I am in the very early stages of an audit by wkmens comp.
I have an s corporation.
Can I dissolve the corporation even though an audit has started?
And if yes would they still possibly try to sue me if corporation is dissolved.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/7/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid the audit is regarding past practices as well as for future payments. Dissolution of the corporation will not stop the audit I am afraid. Also, if they find any deficiencies, they can hold the corporation as well as you as the owner personally liable for those deficiencies and they pursue those in court for judgments all the time. It is generally the best practice to obtain a local attorney to represent you in the audit to try to fight their claims or at least minimize any deficiencies they claim if they find any.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney