How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To make a long story short, last year my fiancé and I have

Customer Question

To make a long story short, last year my fiancé and I have purchased a used car that was advertised on craigslist. We paid in full and the seller gave us temporary plates until he is able to get the paperwork so we can put the car in our name. A few weeks later and no paperwork, and a few temporary plates later, we decided to move the car for a new parking spot and was pulled over by the police. They told my fiancé to get out of the car and arrested him. Trying to find out what the cause was, I asked them what were the charges? The Sergeant told me to shut up and mind my business in which stirred me into a panic, trying to find out what was going on. Another office also told me to shut up as well which gt me more upset and I started o cry. A female office spoke to me and told me to get out of the car since I didn't have a license on me to move the car. A few minutes later after pleading the officers I finally got an answer saying that he was driving with false plates. I told them that the plates are temporary we received it that very day and are in the process of getting our new plates. The officers told me that they are fake and forged and they will have to take my fiancé into custody. My last question before they took him away was if they were able to run the plates to prove that it was fake and they not only refuse but they also said that just looking at the plates they knew that it was fake.
We found a lawyer and we ended up taking a ticket over the false plates which we didn't know about making us pay a huge fine, since this has happened my fiancés license was suspended and throughout the trial the officers lawyers pulled past charges which are over 10 years old and tried to put it against my fiancé again to make him serve the time he has already served over 10 years ago. I feel that not only the officers, our lawyer, the judge, officers attorney, and the car salesman has not done what they were suppose to do by investigating the problem, dropping the charges go after the salesman for those false plates. It was a lot of money we have lost for the car, paying the lawyer for what I feel has never been justified, for the fines that we had to pay out of pocket to get my fiancés license back in and for the days of missed work because of all of this. My fiancé was fired back in February due to the absences of work. Please tell me is there justice for us? Or is it what we have to suffer with from now on?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer, I am sorry to learn of this situation.Unfortunately, with regard to your fiance's criminal matter, there is not a lot that I can offer at this point. Your fiance has accepted a plea on the matter, effectively closing that portion of the matter. (I am sorry that you felt that your fiance's attorney did not do a sufficient job handling the matter, but if you were driving with what the state (law enforcement and the prosecutor's office) believed to be blatantly fraudulent plates, there may have been a very strong claim against him - but please keep in mind, I have no way of assessing the strength or merits of the underlying case on this forum.However, with respect to your civil recourse against the dealership, you can sue the seller of the car for fraud, and breach of contract, both for failure to provide you good title on the vehicle and for the proximately caused damages associated with the bad plates. If this was a dealership that sold you the vehicle (and not a private party) you can also report this to the NY Attorney General, here:, and the NY AG's office can investigate the matter and pursue administrative and/or criminal charges against the dealership. If you purchased from an individual, you can make a police report and/or a report to the prosecutor's office, (while this should have come up at some point in your fiance's case, you can still make a report subsequent to that matter).