Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am moving from Texas to Tennessee, I have a 16gauge shot

Customer Question
I am moving from Texas...

I am moving from Texas to Tennessee, I have a 16gauge shot gun and a 45 pistol. What are the laws for me getting these from Texas to Tennessee? I think that no ammunition, and the guns must have locks on them. Is this correct? I would be checking these in obviously. no carry on. Thank you For you time, regards Thomas******

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/4/2015
Lawyer: Cerecita,
 replied 2 years ago
Cerecita
Hello, Thomas and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

The TSA allows certain types of firearms that are unloaded and placed in a locked, hard-sided container in checked baggage. You can see more at the following site (https://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items), and if you scroll down and click on Read our Firearms & Ammunition section

As you read, what you transport, also depends on individual state laws.

I hope this helped and wish you safe travel!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Cher
Lawyer: Briarcliff767,
 replied 2 years ago
Briarcliff767
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today!
Different airlines have different rules that are not with the TSA regulations. Has nothing to do with state laws as both states allow the travel of weapons but it would depend on the airline.
In order to answer your question I would need the airline that you are traveling on. To answer your question as to the locked case yes that is correct and it can be placed in your checked luggage.
Let me know which airline you are traveling so I can complete your answer about the laws.
Thanks
Hope
Briarcliff767
Briarcliff767
Briarcliff767