How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just picked up a registered mail from 06/20 with a Florida

Customer Question

I just picked up a registered mail from 06/20 with a Florida notice of foreign judgement. Its from a debtor in ohio. I have 7 days now left to file some sort of action contesting this. Ill file myself but what do i do procedurally?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Live phone call how? Just goving you my number? Can I choose someone? Because id love to have an atorney answer who knows florida law, as well as maybe having worked on real esate or rentals as landlord.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
I noticed your question hadn't been picked up and there's likely a number of reasons for it. First, we can't really tell you exactly what to do since that would be giving legal advice, which we can't do on here as the click throughs explain. You can only get "legal advice" from an attorney with whom you have formed an attorney client relationship. Second, most experts in the legal category don't do telephone calls because it opens up a whole can of worms with the state bars, malpractice insurers, etc. Third, your question request a very specific type of expert and there may not be anyone on here who meets those exact specifications. In addition, since the issue is dealing with a foreign judgment it really doesn't have anything to do with "real estate or rentals as a landlord" it is purely a question on civil procedure. I can point you in the right direction, tell you where you can look to find out exactly how to handle your situation, and then discuss what to watch out for and the benefits and pitfalls of representing yourself in this situation versus hiring someone if that would be sufficient or, if you prefer, I can opt out and open the question back up to see if anyone else wants to try and assist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dwayne,A few questions before I decide:1). What, of not for legal advise, is this forum for?2). Pointing me in the right direction would include what? Would it include a sequenced set of steps to follow to file appropriate motions, etc. I cannot afford an attorney on this matter and thus referrals would be unecessary.3). Would the "telling me where to look to find out how to handle my situation" include where to find free help for assistance?Thanks!
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
1) Legal information. Legal advice requires a complete analysis of all the facts, an in depth interview, an evaluation of all the evidence, etc. While someone operating in an online only capacity could, in theory, do that, this website doesn't and the cost involved would still be hundreds/thousands of dollars because of the time it takes. 2) It would not include a sequenced set of instructions or steps or instructions on how to file specific documents or the wording of those. Again, that requires the things listed in #1 and trying to tell you exactly what to do without a complete evaluation would be not only imprudent but could be dangerous for you as well since even a minor detail left out could be devastating for your case. What I could do is find and provide a link to the specific rules that cover what you are trying to do, likely recommend some "self help" books that customers have found helpful in the past, and then provide a general overview of the process. 3) I can tell you where to look for free help but I can't guarantee you can find it. Many lawyers do very little pro bono work and are extremely selective about the type they do, focusing mainly on family law and criminal law, occasionally on probate type matters. People are under the mistaken impression that law is just a matter of filling out some forms and then the judge rules on those. That is not at all what happens in 99% of the cases. I very, very seldom recommend people use forms other than as guides or unless their court specifically requires them. That's because if you use a form you don't understand what you are doing or why. If you take the statutes that control in your case, draft the pleading based on the statutes, and then research the law, you understand what and why you are doing something and won't get hammered when you get to court. Even when I taught young lawyers at my office to handle cases I didn't let them use forms even though we had shelves and shelves of form books and hundreds of them in the files and on the computers. They could look at the forms but they had to draft the documents from scratch in the beginning so they understood what they were doing.