How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently received a letter from the IRS, stating that the

Customer Question

I recently received a letter from the IRS, stating that the business where I have been filing my tax returns was being investigated. I was asked to bring copies of my past 5yrs. work of tax filings. In the letter is states that I am not in trouble nor the one being investigated. I complied with the letter completely and thoroughly gathered all my legal documents. Once there I was questioned (felt more like being interigated) I answered honestly to my knowledge I even took a friend since English is not my first language. During the proceeding that stated that that company was being investigated for fraud. I was shocked and saddened since they were recommended by a lady who had raised me. The IRS stated that they filed my taxes wrongly and therefore I must pay back one hundred percent. My question is I have no money and why should I have to pay for that companies mistake and clearly have committed fraud to many others?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
If you pay someone to prepare your tax return, the IRS urges you to choose that preparer carefully. This is because you are legally responsible for what’s on your tax return even if it is prepared by someone else, including tax preparation chains like H&R Block, Liberty Tax, and Jackson Hewitt. Your recourse is to sue the preparation company for negligence or fraud to recoup your fees and/or other damages and penalties that you might suffer because of their conduct.
The link above may be of interest to you. There may be a class action suit you can join against your preparer.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer.