How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118804
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchase a passenger seat from a mobility aid company in

Customer Question

I purchase a passenger seat from a mobility aid company in the State of New York. The purchase was made March 2014. As of today, July 2, 2015, the seat is neither complete nor installed. I asked for a refund. They are determined to forge ahead with correcting engineered problems with the seat and have it installed.
At this point, the reasons for this seat has been lost in the time lapsed, I was forced to purchase another vehicle as not having a passenger seat in our truck. It appears I may need to take legal action for a refund and damage repairs to the truck from unsuccessful operation of this seat unit.
How does one residing in Alberta, Canada, take legal action for a sale from a company in New York State, USA?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need an attorney in NY to represent you in the legal action, since NY is the state that has jurisdiction over the company. The suit is filed by filing a petition in the NY court where they are located and serving them a summons and copy of the complaint.

Before you file suit against them in NY with a NY attorney, you can file a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau, and also with the NY Attorney General Consumer Protection unit,

If the AG and BBB cannot resolve the matter, then you can find a consumer protection attorney in NY at or