I purchase a passenger seat from a mobility aid company in…

Customer Question
I purchase a passenger seat...
I purchase a passenger seat from a mobility aid company in the State of New York. The purchase was made March 2014. As of today, July 2, 2015, the seat is neither complete nor installed. I asked for a refund. They are determined to forge ahead with correcting engineered problems with the seat and have it installed.
At this point, the reasons for this seat has been lost in the time lapsed, I was forced to purchase another vehicle as not having a passenger seat in our truck. It appears I may need to take legal action for a refund and damage repairs to the truck from unsuccessful operation of this seat unit.
How does one residing in Alberta, Canada, take legal action for a sale from a company in New York State, USA?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/2/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need an attorney in NY to represent you in the legal action, since NY is the state that has jurisdiction over the company. The suit is filed by filing a petition in the NY court where they are located and serving them a summons and copy of the complaint.

Before you file suit against them in NY with a NY attorney, you can file a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau, http://www.bbb.org and also with the NY Attorney General Consumer Protection unit, http://www.ag.ny.gov/bureau/consumer-frauds-bureau.

If the AG and BBB cannot resolve the matter, then you can find a consumer protection attorney in NY at http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney