How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41569
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have live with a woman l8 years. There are no wills

Customer Question

I have live with a woman for over l8 years. There are no wills nor power of attorney. The only confirmation was she told family members that we were married. One family member
prepare a cake in honor of her statement and was provided at a family gathering. Have work in a business she owns for over 16 years. Helped her establish a new business location. She would response to support of her business as that she paid me a salary. Also helped her established several leases on properties she owns. Her assets would be in the five million dollar range. She received a insurance death claim of $750,000.00. We live in North Carolina. Have registered at hotel before as Mr. /Mrs. using my last name. I have provided authorization on medical forms for her to obtain information, as well as a contact person. She recently had surgery and allow the doctor to provide medical information to me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
I appreciate your predicament here.Please don't shoot the messenger.
NC does not recognize common law marriage at all unless you lived in another state and can establish it from the time period in that state.Otherwise you are not going to be able to claim anything under common law.
I thin k you need to confront her and tell her you are worried about the future and ask her if she would marry you or at least write you in her will or otherwise resolve all of this.
Because as it stands now there is no common law marriage and unless she puts you in her will here ou will be left with nothing.You have a valid concern, its time to raise the issue so that you are not left without recourse.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Again I am sorry to give you the bad news.But you still have time to turn this around and get her to include you in her will and then you are protected.It is reasonable for you to ask now that you know you need to be in the will here to get anything.
I hope you can get her to include you in her will or add your name as payable on death on some of her accounts.This would give you the legal rights you need if she deceases.
Thanks again for the chance to help here.