I took an auto loan to help an ex girlfriend who did not qualify…

Customer Question
I took an auto loan...
I took an auto loan to help an ex girlfriend who did not qualify because of her credit rating.She agreed to make all payments and pay for maintaining all the aspects of the vehicle.We also acquired a notarized statement acknowledging that she would make all payments and carry proper insurance on the vehicle.Within the past three months she has been late on a payment and is now currently two months behind on payments.My credit rating is getting hit. We have refinanced once already and tried again to refinance so I could be removed from this loan but I was told they could not refinance again until more of the loan was payed down. The question is,is there anything I can do to get out from under this and preserve my credit ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/1/2015
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Did the notarized statement provide for a remedy if she did not meet her obligations?
Is your name on the title?
Thank you.
Tina, Lawyer