How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 56 year old daughter that had herrena surgery Aug

Customer Question

I have a 56 year old daughter that had herrena surgery Aug 18th 2014. Four day s later she hemeraged and back to the hospital where her surgan cut her open in her stomach and side to clean her out. full of feces and blood. The word is he knicked the colan. As of today she is in a nursing home because her medicare ran out and now on Medicaid. Her surgan said she has to heal up before he can do anything. She has a colostomy bag stuck to her stomach to collect the fluid that she changes every 2 to 3 days. The 2 holes in her side have healed and the stomach hole has gotten smaller. She has been in 4 rest homes and the hospital and is still leaking to this day. we want to persue this but don't know where to start. We have keep notes about the care she has had , staff and doctors.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. The main place to start with this would be by finding a local attorney in your area that is wiling to take the case. You can visit and search for a medical malpractice attorney in your area to help. If you can find an attorney to assist, then you and your daughter should gather her medical records and have them for the lawyer at your first meeting. Usually, the lawyer will turn the medical records over to an expert witness (doctor) to review and give an opinion as to whether you have a case. Generally, in a negligence case, the standard is whether the medical provider fell below the applicable standard of care....which is what a reasonably prudent doctor in the same situation would have done. Obviously, in this case, if the colon was hit during the surgery, then that was an unintended result and could be grounds to sustain a claim against the medical provider for damages. However, the first step is to get an attorney to help....and then get in touch with an expert witness/doctor to asses the claim. Once that occurs, you can proceed with filing suit.
Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 2 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. ( Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.