How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116753
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a victim of fraud and the person was sentenced to state

Customer Question

I'm a victim of fraud and the person was sentenced to state prison in California. I'm not the only victim in this case but the amount of victim restitution ordered to me is $50,000. He is out of prison and I have not received any type of payment. How can I proceed to get some type of wage garnishment or other legal action to get my restitution that is owed to me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first step is contact the DA who handled your case and the victim assistance program, since they handle these matters typically. Furthermore, you could initiate a civil suit against the defendant to seek to recover the money you lost. The only issue is that if the defendant has no assets or job, collecting on any judgment can be an issue because there is nothing for you to collect from (and that may be the same issue the DA is having in collecting).

Related Legal Questions