Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I'm a victim of fraud and the person was sentenced to state

Customer Question

I'm a victim of fraud and the person was sentenced to state prison in California. I'm not the only victim in this case but the amount of victim restitution ordered to me is $50,000. He is out of prison and I have not received any type of payment. How can I proceed to get some type of wage garnishment or other legal action to get my restitution that is owed to me?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first step is contact the DA who handled your case and the victim assistance program, since they handle these matters typically. Furthermore, you could initiate a civil suit against the defendant to seek to recover the money you lost. The only issue is that if the defendant has no assets or job, collecting on any judgment can be an issue because there is nothing for you to collect from (and that may be the same issue the DA is having in collecting).