A credit card company charged off a credit card debt on my…

Customer Question
A credit card company charged...
A credit card company charged off a credit card debt on my credit report 3 years ago. They are, however, still reporting it as late. Is this legal?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/30/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
A 'charge off' simply means that the company has chosen to not pursue the debt. That does not mean that this debt is no longer valid, or is not able to be pursued or collected, it is still therefore able to be reported as late until the charge-off period fully expires (which is generally 7 years from date of debt).
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Dear Vanessa,
The two credit cards with 42 d's each are currently reporting, even though the creditors closed them long ago.
The 5 new credit cards were taken out in my husband's name, not mine. I was not instructed to do this.
My credit score raised probably due to me getting added onto well-established credit card holders (mother, uncle, etc.).
Thanks,
Claire
Claire,
My apologies but I am unclear as to your follow-up question. What specifically can I answer for you?