I live in Mich. and had an accident with my car at a mall in…

Customer Question
I live in Mich. and...
I live in Mich. and had an accident with my car at a mall in Benzonia county. I was backing out and backed into a new pickup. I looked trough my mirror and did not see any damage. Looking back now I"m sure there was. No one was in the truck. I left without calling the police. Will I get a ticket or points. This happened on June 26. Will they hall me off to jail? I hope not. If I got a notice in the mail I be happy to pay my fine. It"s been for days now and I have"n heard a thing. I have never met the driver of the truck. Thank you Jack
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2015
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Hello Jack,Thank you for the information and your question. Leaving the scene of an accident, when there is property damage, is considered a criminal charge. It would be a misdemeanor and can carry, along with a fine of up to $100, up to 90 days in jail. That latter rarely occurs, but the law does allow for it. This is a link to the statute: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28ssr3tp2wrzs5xvw05kdhj5ge%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-618The proper action under the statute is to leave all of your contact, insurance, etc., information if you cannot find the owner of the vehicle or call the police. At this point, you have two options and I cannot advise you what to do since I am not, and cannot be, your attorney. But you can either self-report and face the charge or not report and wait to see if anyone identified you when the accident happened.If you are charged, you can hire an experienced attorney who might be able to negotiate a lesser civil infraction charge so that you do not have a criminal conviction. Please feel free to ask for clarification.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 29th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.
Marsha411JD, Attorney