I was working company and he was storing a bunch of parts…

Customer Question
I was working for a...
I was working for a company and he was storing a bunch of parts and hot tubs in my garage they been there for months and months he has not once paid for storage of any kind. I was terminated over a month ago and still the stuff remained. I moved a tub out of the way and leaned it against the fence in the alley to pour concrete and in the mean time someone stole it. hes trying to charge me 4000. do i have to give any of it back to him? i havent been able to use my garage in a year and a half but have had to pay for it.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2015
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. You aren't allowed to just keep it, the property still belongs to him. However, you can send him a latter by certified mail and regular mail and give him a certain date by which he has to pick up and remove the materials (7 days should be reasonable) and after that time you will begin charging him storage fee. Ask around and see what a local storage rental place charges by the day and then charge him a little more since it is your garage. If he doesn't pay and doesn't pick them up then at some point you can file a lien and go through the process of seizing and selling the property. However, that part is extremely complicated and you probably want to get the forms from a local lawyer to be sure it is done correctly. As to him trying to charge you, there is nothing that would indicate you had to pay it since, really, there was no agreement in place for you to store the materials after he terminated you and thus there was no "bailment" which is the legal term for when you have a duty to care for someone's property.