Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My daughter is interested in pursuing a multi year contract conversati

Customer Question
on with the owner of...
My daughter is interested in pursuing a multi year contract conversati on with the owner of her company. She is in the apparel business in Los Angeles and her hope is that her employer will agree to a 2 year contract with the ability to renew the contract in 18 months giving her a 6 month window to look for another position if the 18 month review and negotiations terms for another two years does not work out.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/29/2015
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you this morning. I understand that your daughter is interested in pursuing this arrangement, but I don't see a specific question. Can you help clarify specifically how I can help? Thanks.
Is it common to position multi yr contracts with a review or renewal period prior (in this case 6 months) to the expiration of the end date in order to provide that look ahead period to find a new position?
Thanks for following up. Yes, this is not an unusual provision. And, it works to the benefit of both parties. The more senior position your daughter has, the more critical it is for both her and her employer to have such a provision. Not only for your daughter to giver her time to find alternative employment, but also for her employer to be able to provide them a seamless transition period to find a replacement. Six months would be at the long end...usually I see a period of about 3 months, but if she's a valuable employee, the additional 3 months should not be that difficult for the employer. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Attorney