How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4194
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am maried six months here in Colorado. I moved to Colorado

Customer Question

I am maried six months here in Colorado. I moved to Colorado from Washington D.C. after marrying my husband. He is the primary financial provider and has been having an affair from the beginning of our marriage. I've since left him and will be filing for divorce. He just told me he wants the car I'm driving back. It's in his name only. He has two other cars at home. I asked for only a television and a car worth only 1000. Do I have any rights relative to this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. The residency requirement for filing for divorce in Colorado is 90 days. Since you have been in the state for six months you may file for divorce and take advantage of Colorado's marital property settlement laws.Colorado is an “equitable distribution” state. This means that the Courts will determine how to fairly distribute the property if you and your ex can not come to an agreed to disposition.Colorado is also a "no fault" state. This means that you can obtain a divorce without the need of pleading or proving fault.The issues in divorce are generally limited to how much spousal support you are entitled to, and how to divide the marital property.You shoud be entitled to a certain amount of spousal support and your fair share of the marital assets acquired during the marriage. As to sposal support, you may be entitled to as much as 40% of the joint income. You are likely entitled to much more than the car and television, but it is difficult to say with out a complete analysis of your situation. An experienced divorce attorney will meet with you to asses you case at litle or no cost. This link may be useful in finding an attorney: Alternatively you may wish to seek out a pro bono attorney. Here is a list of legal services agencies in Colorado: The following articles will helpful to you: is a link to the law. I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.