How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12250
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What law governs ameriprise financial when they told my ex

Customer Question

what law governs ameriprise financial when they told my ex husband i closed the account and no longer have an account there. ?? What law is that and how to I start a law suit what form do i file and can I win a money judgment. This could have been very bad since I was in litigation with my ex at the time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I have to have been injured by this act or is the act of giving my personal information about my account enough to sue.?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. The law that was likely violated here was the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA). The GLBA prohibits financial institutions from sharing private information about consumers without permission. However, I am sorry to say that the GLBA does not allow for a private right of action. The federal government alone has the power to deal with violations. Accordingly, while you can file a complaint for violating the GLBA (see this link:, you cannot sue for a violation of the GLBA. I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.