Y just got scam from a nijeria guy ,y have his passport visa…

Customer Question
y just got scam from...
y just got scam from a nijeria guy ,y have his passport visa copy ,he scam me for 30k ,y knowhe is around the town but the cops cant do nothing ,howcan y get him to return my money searching for him in hard but y know goin to the consulate may get him,what you think or advice me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/28/2015
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Unfortunately, most internet romance scammers get completely away with their crimes. That is because the technology that enables them to become invisible in cyberspace is more sophisticated than the technology that law enforcement can use to find them.
Also, scammers prey on victims in another country for a reason. Our law enforcement authorities have no jurisdiction in Nigeria. And the Nigerian police don't care much about the swindling of westerners.
Add to this the fact that not a single word your scammer has told you will be the truth -- not his name, his contact information, and his so-called passport. All documents will be forgeries. Everything else from his name, address and phone number to his computer's IP address can be falsified. These scammers literally can become "invisible," and when they do, they take your money with them.
You need to report the fraud to the FBI at IC3.gov. They are partnered there with Interpol, who can alert Nigeria as to your facts. If you have the means to do so, hiring a private investigator in Nigeria will get your case priority, but again, finding the scammer is still near impossible. He can be anyone, anywhere in the world. He will not be the person on his "passport" and his photos are stolen from the web and not what he really looks like.
You can try to involve the consulate. They should be able to make suggestions as to where you can find a reliable private investigator over there so that you don't get scammed trying to find him.
Frankly, the odds of you getting your money back are very, very low. I know that this is not what you want to hear, but it's the reality of internet scam. There is only one bright note I can tell you, and that is that when you are a victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses are tax deductible. So make sure you report this fraud as a crime to your police and to the FBI at IC3.gov. That will allow you to claim your losses as a tax deduction when you prepare your 2015 taxes. That won't get you all your money back, but it's significantly better than nothing.
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney