How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41019
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Uncle was in a nursing home in NYS. He passed away May

Customer Question

My Uncle was in a nursing home in NYS. He passed away May 2014. He left me his house. The deed is in his name and my name. If I sell it, is NYS entitled to any money from the sale?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
NY does have estate recovery.They may have a lien on the house which would have to be paid when sold.Also you can make a hardship waiver request here if you have financial hardship or disability.
Here is all of that explained and how to request a hardship waiver.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have m roe follow up.Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do goodI know if there's a lien on the house?
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Check the deed records where property is located.It would be on file here.And if you think you qualify for hardship file a request for waiver.Worst that happens is they say no.Never hurts to ask here assuming there is a lien.If he got medicaid and was in a nursing home likely there is one to resolve.
Thanks for the follow up.Sorry about your loss of brother.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
JA will email you our chat with references if you can positive rate.
Have a great evening

Related Legal Questions