How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27487
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

False accusations being emailed to my spouse by relative being

Customer Question

false accusations being emailed to my spouse by relative being harassed
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Can you give a bit more background and then ask your question? Is your spouse being threatened, for example? What is it you want to do about this/what would you like to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he receives emails from my sister n law with so many false accusations about me. Our marriage is very strong but I'm tired of her false nonsense and ridiculous accusations and I was just wondering if maybe there was a legal action I can finally do that can put a stop to this?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Your spouse may be able to seek a restraining order to stop her harassing him with her emails, if he is bothered by them. I don't know what state she lives in, but if her communication is unwelcome, that's one way to shut it down.
If she is spreading untrue stories about you knowing that they are untrue, that would make out some of the elements of defamation of character but to sue, you'd need to have experienced actual economic damages as a result of the lies she's telling. So I don't see a civil suit here and a restraining order may be your best recourse.
Your and your husband may be able to enlist the aid of the police to put her on notice that you will go after her for harassment if she doesn't leave him alone. Sometimes, police are willing to make a phone call to give a warning that has a better chance of working than if you said something about this for yourself.