N July, 2010, I received a property in NYC as part of a settlement…

Customer Question
n July, 2010, I received...
n July, 2010, I received a property in NYC as part of a settlement with my brother at an MSC in CA. My CA lawyer did not do anything re making sure I could live in this property. In Sept., 2012 after I had rehabbed the property, I was informed by the Coop Board that I was living there illegally, as I had no "Transfer of Proprietary Lease" which is required by NYC coop law. I attempted to get a transfer, but the Board turned me down. In NYC, they do not have to give a reason for a turn-down. As a result, I was forced to sell the apartment at a loss. I entered into a second litigation with my brother, which was caused by the first litigation. I did not realize at the time that the lawyer committed malpractice. It is only now, after the 2nd litigation, that a lawyer friend told me that the lawyer committed malpractice. Unconscionable fees also from the lawyer still outstanding. What is my best recourse?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/27/2015
Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Hello there --At this point, if you are in CA and your lawyer is located in CA, then you should file a complaint with the CA attorney licensing board. They have a fee arbitration program where you will most likely have the rest of the bill cancelled and/or be able to have returned some of the fees that you paid and then when you actually have a favorable finding from the licensing board, you can talk to a malpractice lawyer for this -- many lawyers who do handle legal malpractice cases do not want to take on a case unless there is some direction from the licensing board beforehand . You can find the licensing board online by doing a search and you should be able to file a complaint right online as well. Regarding the malpractice, your CA lawyer should have consulted with a NYC lawyer before agreeing to the case settlement or to accept the coop as settlement and that is what he did wrong. MARY
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello again --
-
I am not sure there is much more I can tell you about this particular question in a telephone call and I do not want to see you get charged additional fees for the telephone call. However, if you still want a telephone call I will make the offer and we can talk perhaps later or tomorrow?
-
Please let me know.
-
MARY
Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer