How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12249
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my three kids lost my fiancée and their mother at a

Customer Question

Me and my three kids lost my fiancée and their mother at a drug rehab for women to a guy at the rehabilitation home. We want to sue them who let this happen to to our love one..
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was sent in by the child protective service of California
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now she doesn't want to protect the kids she wanted too when she went in.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. Can you be more specific about what happened to your fiancee, and what the drug rehab did wrong? I'm not sure that I understand the full story. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The rehab was supposed to protect my wife to be, during the process of making her drug free, for the sake of my family, but was exposed to men who pry on women in the rehabilitation home. A similar situation happen at an AA program and they got sued for not protecting the patient. .
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again. What exactly happened to your fiancee?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was writing love letters to me and the kids, tell us how she is lonely and can't wait to get back home to me and the kids, then she started talking to some guy and got brain washed by him which she was vulnerable and now she's staying at her mom's house and waiting for the guy to get out of rehab to be with him and she doesn't want to see us, me and the kids, they did not protect her so she can come home clean for the family.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again. You wrote: "then she started talking to some guy and got brain washed by him" Can you expand on that? What do you mean brainwashed? Are you simply saying that she fell in love with the guy, or are you saying that the guy did inappropriate things to her in the facility? If the latter, what inappropriate things did he do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure what he did, but the rehab for women, was not supposed to exposed the vulnerable women to other male patients who pry on the women
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again.
You are certainly entitled to sue the facility, but I think that you'll have a very difficult time winning unless you can prove to the court exactly what happened to your fiancee. You'll need to do that so that you can show that the facility did something wrong. Otherwise, it's just speculation. For example, although this is not likely the case, it's possible that your fiancee simply reflected on her relationship with you and the kids, and decided on her own that she wanted a different life when she got out. After all, she is a grown adult and certainly has the right to make that choice. I'm not saying that's what happened, but the point is that it's a possibility, and therefore, in order to win a lawsuit, it's not enough to simply show the court that your fiancee left you and the kids. You must show that something happened for which the facility is liable.
Does that make sense?
Accordingly, before you think about taking any action against the facility, you need to discover exactly what happened in there. You can ask your fiancee, the facility itself, or even the guy that she is waiting for. Perhaps the facility will have something to say about it since it sounds like your fiancee spent time with the guy under their watch. Did they notice anything unusual? If they admit that they did, then that may be an indication that the facility did something wrong, and it may lead to a successful case. So, the bot***** *****ne is that you need to do a little investigating.
After you figure out the details, then you should retain a local attorney, as this would not be a simple small claims "Judge Judy" type of lawsuit. This would be a rather complicated case that will require expert witnesses to establish exactly what the facility did wrong and what it should have done instead.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The facility knew what was going on and did nothing, they let it happen and when I called and told them that my wife to be is sounding not as positive as she used to, they say that there was nothing wrong, but when I found out that there was another guy, I called them back and told them that she is seeing another guy, they said they can't change that, but when I called them back and told them that it was against the rules and regulations and told them I was going to sue them, they threw her out of the facility and now she is lost and drinking alcohol, they knew what was going on, but didn't stop it..
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again. I understand your frustration. However, I stand by my prior answer. You need to find out what happened, and then you can take action. Since you don't know what happened, you'd be speculating, and you can't win a lawsuit based upon speculation. I truly wish you the best.