I consigned coworker to buy a dog. We're no longer friends…

Customer Question
I consigned for a coworker...
I consigned for a coworker to buy a dog. We're no longer friends and she's not working with me. She didn't pay the payment or pay for the dog and I'm now getting calls from the finance company for payments. How do I get out of this? She has the dog. How can I get out of this contract?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
6/27/2015
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. As a co-signor, the finance company does have a legal right to come after you, if she is failing to make the payments. Now, if there was an agreement for her to pay and she is not and you pay on her behalf, then you would have to sue her for breaking the agreement and damages suffered. If you fail to pay, the matter will likely be turned over to collections and your credit can suffer and you could get sued for the money owed. The finance company is not going to release you, since you are a security interest for them and if they let you go, then that is one less person they have to go after. As such, you need to take action against her and sue, to recover what is owed.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney