If my companion passes before wwe could marry here in louisiana…

Customer Question
if my companion passes before...
if my companion passes before wwe could marry here in louisiana con I still claim common law. and how do I go about it. they still haven't laid him to rest.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
6/27/2015
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
At this time only a handful of states recognize common law marriages. Louisiana does not happen to be one of those states. As such you need to get married before he passes if at all possible since the common law option simply does not exist for you in your state. I am sorry!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.