How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42909
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My contractor has my money but he want complete the job do

Customer Question

my contractor has my money but he want complete the job do i need a lawyer and what would be my next step
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.Can you tell me how much money is involved ??
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
The reason I asked here is that you can sue in small claims up to $10 k here without a lawyer claiming breach of contract.You paid and they breached by not performing and doing what you paid for.
Here is reference to small claims in Texas, you file in the jp court where your property is located.
Here are forms and self help, your county may have county specific ones.
If it is more than $10 k you need a lawyer locally and sue in County or District Court for the full amount including legal fees and costs.
Lawyer referral
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
You should also file a complaint here with Texas AG Consumer Section they may be able to help you too.
Thanks again and the best here.