How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Living in California. My wife and I separated in Nov 2008,

Customer Question

Living in California. My wife and I separated in Nov 2008, filed for divorce in Sept of 2010, there was bankruptcy and "war of the Roses" custody battle and a Support agreement was "reached". In July 2012 (after some sobering financial and parenting re-evaluations) we chose to co-habitate to deal with tax liabilities and lack of cash flow. That lasted two years and we have been in separate places since July2014. In that time, one of my boys turned 18.
My question is: Is the the original support agreement from late 2010 still relevant and legally binding even though we were co-habitating (I have always paid most of the expenses) and now the child custody and her employment has changed?
Many Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Unless you file a motion with the court to terminate spousal support when you began to cohabitate following the divorce, then the fact that you lived together had no effect on the support order and it remains valid and enforceable.
Child support presumably ceased when your child reached 18, unless there was an agreement to the contrary in the divorce.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,